Toowoomba State High School was founded on May 12 1919 after the Department of Public Instruction took over the running of the Toowoomba Technical College. The high school section of the college was the culmination of a process prescribed by the 1875 Education Act to extend education beyond the compulsory primary years. During this time, the Technical College and High School were located on the corner of Margaret and Hume Streets, close to the Toowoomba CBD.
Throughout the 1950's, overcrowding in both the high school and technical college became a major concern and approaches were made to the Federal Government to either expand the existing site or move to a more suitable location. The campaign to relocate the high school seemed the preferred option and this notion was given a boost when in October 1955, the Minister announced that "...High Schools and Technical Colleges should be separate". The following year, 1956, negotiations began with the Toowoomba City Council for the acquisition of the Mt. Lofty site which would become the new location for the High School. The deal was done and the land, which at that time was being used as a quarry, was secured. Soon after, the construction of new buildings and classrooms commenced.
In 1960, Sub-Junior classes were taught in the new buildings at Mt. Lofty for the first time. On 14th May 1960, in front of a crowd of 2000 people, the new buildings at Mt. Lofty were officially opened by the State Minister for Transport, Mr Gordon Chalk. By 1963, all but a few high school classes had made the transition to the Mt. Lofty site.
Since the 1960's, Toowoomba State High School has steadily grown in both student numbers and facilities. Several new buildings have been added to the landscape including the Gym and Pool, Library, D block, Q block (Admin and Home Economics) and a Multi-Purpose Centre. Student numbers reached close to 1600 during the mid-nineties however this pressure has been relieved with the opening of two new high schools in the area since that time.
In 2019, Toowoomba State High School celebrated its 100th year of existence and the events planned for our Centenary paid homage to all those who played a part in shaping our wonderful school.